A large poster for the new "Diana" biopic that sparked outrage over its placement in Paris just steps from where the beloved British icon died in a harrowing car crash has been taken down. The movie billboard on an outdoor pedestal near the tragic Pont de l'Alma tunnel showed actress Naomi Watts in character as the late Princess of Wales.
"It was requested that the poster be removed Monday afternoon and we received confirmation that it had been removed Monday evening," a spokesperson for French distributor Le Pact told the Hollywood Reporter. The new film loosely chronicles Diana's romance with Dr. Hasnat Khan, the Pakistani heart surgeon she dated for about two years until just months before her death.
A poster for the movie 'Diana,' foreground, near the Flame of Liberty statue, left, and the Pont de l'Alma tunnel, right, where the Princess of Wales died in an auto crash in 1997.
A "fairytale" dress worn by Diana, Princess of Wales, and designed by David and Elizabeth Emanuel, is expected to sell for between £50,000 and £80,000 when it goes under the hammer.
One of Princess Diana‘s most iconic dresses sold today at an auction house in South London for £85,000 ($140,000). The buyer is an overseas museum, though further details have not been released. Kerry Taylor, a specialist fashion auctioneer who orchestrated the “Passion for Fashion” auction, told ABC News that the iconic dress is “going to be loved and looked after.”
Princess Diana's Emanuel ball gown from the 1986 'Diaghilev' collection to be auctioned, Dec. 3, 2013.
The “blingy” ball gown, designed by David and Elizabeth Emanuel from their Diaghilev collection, is accompanied by matching headband, optional sleeve panels and a petticoat. While the headband was sometimes replaced by a tiara or simply by nothing at all, Diana made several high-profile appearances in the dress including at the Bolshoi Ballet and at the 1987 premiere of the James Bond film ‘The Living Daylights,’ in Central London. Taylor says that Diana adored the dress, as she did so many of the Emanuels’ creations. So much so that she chose them to design her wedding dress.
Scotland Yard has reportedly finished its latest investigation, concluding the claims have no "basis in fact"
Scotland Yard has said there is "no credible evidence" to support claims the SAS was involved in the deaths of Princess Diana and Dodi Fayed, it has been reported tonight. The Metropolitan Police said it had concluded its latest investigation, but would make no formal statement before tomorrow.
Diana and Dodi (R) leaving the Ritz hotel in Paris moments before the crash
However, Sky News reports that a letter it has obtained - written by Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley - says there is no evidence to support a theory that claims the SAS were involved in the couple's deaths had "any basis in fact". It emerged in August that the police were looking at claims that the couple were murdered by a member of the British military. Scotland Yard said it was ''scoping'' the information and ''assessing its relevance and credibility''.
The Mercedes limousine Diana was travelling in crashed into an underpass close to the Pont d'Alma in central Paris
Scotland Yard said in a statement tonight: "The Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) received material on 16 August 2013 in relation to the deaths of Diana, Princess of Wales and Dodi Al Fayed. "The MPS undertook a scoping exercise to assess the relevance and credibility of that information. That scoping exercise is now complete. Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley wrote to all parties and provided them with a summary report of the scoping exercise. In that letter AC Rowley made an undertaking that in order for them to consider the report, the MPS would not make a formal statement until Tuesday, 17 December."
The police Concluding Summary says there are contradictions as to whether individuals did or did not make claims that people associated with the SAS had some involvement in the deaths. The summary said: "It is not possible to prove conclusively what was, or was not said. It is, however, very clear that in the extraordinary publicity and conjecture that followed the deaths and the inquests, there will have been those who, for whatever motivation, will have sought to demonstrate particular inside knowledge, or to claim some form of kudos or recognition."
MOHAMED Al Fayed last night dismissed Scotland Yard’s denial of any SAS involvement in Princess Diana’s death.
The former Harrods owner labelled it “the latest whitewash”. But Al Fayed, 84, whose son Dodi was also killed alongside driver Henri Paul in the Paris collision in 1997, added that he was “disappointed but not discouraged” by the Metropolitan Police’s announcement. A French judicial investigation in 2008 found that the crash was caused by Mr Paul, who had lost control of the Mercedes while allegedly drunk.
DEFIANT: Mohamed Al-Fayed is disappointed by the verdict
But Scotland Yard began a so-called “scoping” exercise to look at claims the couple were SDHpmurdered by a member of British special forces, before this week ruling out opening a criminal investigation after finding “no credible evidence”. Al Fayed’s solicitor, Simon McKay, called this “the latest whitewash in a 16-year cover-up” and said his client would continue his battle to uncover the truth.
TRAGIC LOSS: Princess Diana was killed in 1997 car crash
The allegation is thought to have been made by the former parents-in-law of an ex-soldier, known only as Soldier N, based on information he had given in the past. Details from the serviceman, who was arrested alongside ex-SAS sniper Danny Nightingale, 38, when illegal guns were found at their house, were passed to the Met in August. But in this week’s statement, Scotland Yard said: “The final conclusion is that, whilst the alleged comments in relation to the SAS’s involvement in the deaths may have been made, there’s no credible evidence to support the theory. Therefore the MPs are satisfied there is no evidential basis upon which to open any criminal investigation or to refer the matter back to HM Coroner.”
Britain's Prince Harry is about to inherit £10 million from his late mother Princess Diana on his 30th birthday September 15. Along with his status as a royal it makes him one on the most eligible bachelors in the world. However, he won't be able to pocket it all as the sum will be taxed at 40 percent, the Daily Mirror says.
The value of the legacy is over the Inheritance Tax threshold of £325,000 ($555,000), which includes any assets held in trust or gifts made within seven years of death, and therefore should be reduced by almost half according to the UK’s tax authority. That means that the royal will get only £6 million, or $10.2 million.
Harry could have to fork out around £4million in duty, but tax experts say he could limit it to £3.6million if he gives cash to charities. When William got his own £10million share of his mum’s estate two years ago, 40 per cent went on inheritance tax.
A royal insider said: “There is no way Harry would dodge the tax. “There are few similarities between the average person and Harry and William but when it comes to tax, they also have to pay their way. William got hit with a hefty bill when he turned 30 and so will Harry. His aides have to work out the most tax-efficient way for him to handle the money.”
Prince Harry earns £38,847 a year as an Army captain. Harry was 12 when his mother Princess Diana was killed in a road crash in Paris in 1997. Then she left £12,966,022 which was reduced to £8,502,330 after death duties. However insiders believe the sum has since soared to more than £20 million, thanks to clever royal investment management. Princess Diana also got a huge amount in her divorce from Prince Charles in shares, jewelery, cash, and personal items from her Kensington Palace home. Her wealth was shared equally between her two sons.