It was a golden tournament for Russia after Dmitri Aliev took the men's title, Aleksandra Boikova and Dmitrii Kozlovskii the pairs gold and Victoria Sinitsina and Nikita Katsalapov claimed the honours in Saturday's ice dancing.
Sinitsina and Katsalapov ended the reign of French pair Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron.
The Russians scored 220.42 points, edging the French couple by 14 hundredths of a point and inflicting on them their first defeat in over two years.
Four-time world champions Papadakis and Cizeron were vying for their sixth successive European title and held first place going into Saturday's free dance.
They had not lost to a European pair since 2014 and were unbeaten since the Olympics in 2018.
"To get anywhere near Gabriella and Guillaume seemed impossible for all the skaters," said Katsalapov after a winning performance to Dvorak's "Songs My Mother Taught Me".
Papadakis shrugged off the disappointment.
"We knew the competition was very close so yes, we knew we didn't have room for mistakes and we made them," she admitted.
"We were happy with the performance and how we dealt with the competition and the stress. It's our seventh European Championships and we won five of them which is huge.
"We can't always win and we accept it, it's a lesson for us that we probably needed. We can't wait to work and improve for the worlds."
The Russian figure skater Alexandra Trusova, with her active and assertive performance at the European Championships in Austrian Graz, confirmed her nickname Russian Rocket, the athlete tried to win gold thanks to a set of difficult jumps, Honored Trainer of Russia Inna Goncharenko told RIA Novosti.
In a free program, Trusova performed three quadruple jumps, completing a quadruple toe loop in a cascade with a triple, but fell from the second toe loop and lutz. As a result, the skater won the bronze of the European Championship.
“Sasha Trusova confirmed her title of“ Russian rocket. ”It was very active and assertive, both in the short program and in the free program. In the short program there was an annoying axel blot. It can be seen that she is teaching the axel in 3.5 turns, as an ambitious person Therefore, she twisted the axel 2.5 turns. And in the free program, she had a little race for jumping. She focused on them," Goncharenko said over the phone.
"Everything else - the image, the movements, it seemed to me, were secondary to her. She wanted to win with her strong set of jumps. It didn’t work. But still she had a chic four-piece toe loop. I think even in boys I didn’t see such a high-quality and high toe loop, except perhaps Dima Aliyev. She performed this difficult jump better than many men. At the moment this is a well-deserved third place, "the expert noted.
According to Goncharenko, Trusova’s speech is affected by the changes made to her programs. “I got the impression of some lack of elements, because the content is constantly changing, something is changing places, it’s being added. Before the World Cup there is time, and you need to stop on some specific set and roll it,” the coach believes.
A Russian specialist believes that our girls can’t cope with the level of difficulty that they themselves have set. Olympic champion in 1984 and honored coach of Russia Oleg Vasiliev - how, why performance Alena Kostornoy , Anna Shcherbakova and Alexandra Trusova at the European Championships makes his worry. The specialist was personally present at the tournament and, among other things, accompanied Victoria Safonova, who has been playing for Belarus since this season.
- In general , the result of this championship, the athletes themselves taken it, that they were given , - began Vasiliev. - Often there is a lot of talk about refereeing: everything was right or wrong. And then there was an open pedestal in men's single skating, and Dima Aliyev won gold with his really good skating. The same thing happened in ice dancing - Nikita Katsalapov and Vika Sinitsina skated really cool and won first place, which was not even planned. And it's very nice, because there are constant talks about, that figure skating is solely refereeing , often subjective. Everything was different here.
- How to evaluate the fact , that we do not only have occupied the whole pedestal is not only women's figure skating , but also put the squeeze on victory in men and in dances. Is European skating so behind?
- This is, on the one hand , luck for us. But on the other - she smiles at the one who is better prepared and working. Yes, this is a combination of factors , but at the same time - a pattern. Just the amount of work, which was carried out , finally emerged.
Rebellion of judges in favor of Russia. Ours won in dances and will take 4 European gold out of 4 Tarasova and Morozov will still flash at the Olympics - Reshuffle in dancing means, that sounded some signal to the judges that , that Papadakis / Sizeron lost its special status?
- The French are just themselves, gave rise to put yourself lower scores compared with, what points they usually get. However, even if this sounds somewhat unpatriotic, we are not so much stronger and better that we beat them , rather Papadakis and Sizeron lost to us. For our children, the result should add confidence before the World Cup, and the French - nervousness. Although there are also many nuances: euphoria from the first place can sometimes interfere.
- This championship has shown , that the pairs skating now the only Russian ...
- Because the Frenchmen James / Sipre did not reach, they, Italian duets and Germans are able to compete with ours. But there was no French couple, Della Monica / Guarise was out of shape, and the German couple fell away - that’s the result.
The girls will grow up - What can you say about the singles tournament, all three places on the podium were expectedly taken by Alena Kostornaya , Anna Shcherbakova and Alexandra Trusova but none of them escaped falls ...
- And here I am a little panic. Before the Olympics two years, and began what, it all so afraid: the girls can not cope with the level of complexity , which themselves themselves and asked. It inspires concern: will they be able to maintain this bar ? After all, in the world women's figure skating competition there is - there are Japanese, as well as the girls from Korea and the US , who jump a triple axel and quad jumps.
- And I Could not affect the factor, in Graz, they did not have any competitors? Only the three of them.
- So at the Russian Championship they were three together, and they were here at the World Championship. No , there is something else did not allow them to do it , what they can do.
- the girls themselves have noted, that they have grown up.
- And what are you , like to , so they do not grow at this age? (smiles) For life, this is a common thing. And in sports - any centimeter or two immediately give uncoordination. And girls will grow up, and forgive me in breadth. The Olympics will not be tomorrow, when you can put everything together and give out a maximum, two years ahead, so it’s somewhat alarming.
Russian figure skater Anna Shcherbakova noticeably added expressiveness and plasticity since the December championship of Russia, she was not allowed to win the European championship only by the torn quadruple lutz in the free program.
Shcherbakova fell from the fourth lutz and eventually lost 3.05 points to Alena Kostornaya in the struggle for gold.
“I liked Anna Shcherbakova very much. It seemed to me that she even added to the European Championship from the last start - in expressiveness, image, movement, plasticity. Although the time period from the Russian championship was very small, but I saw it,” Goncharenko said by the phone.
“Four-jumping is always difficult, and the European Championship is an adult and a serious start. Somewhere the nerves played, and she frustrated. I wouldn’t frustrate, of course, I would be the first. But sport is sport, it’s biathlon. We must pay tribute to our opponent and go forward,” the interlocutor of the agency added.
A famous sports commentator is about the results of the European Figure Skating Championship, the prospects of Medvedeva and Zagitova.
The European Championship in Graz ended with the triumph of the Russian national team - our skaters won in all disciplines, and in the women's single skating and in pairs they occupied the entire podium. This caused a nervous reaction in some of our rivals. Andrei Golovanov, who is also known as a figure skater commentator, expressed his opinion on the results of the tournament.
- For the first time since 2006, Russia gathered all the gold at the European Championships. Surprise?
- Another one! In two forms, the chances of victory were, to put it mildly, small. Many, not without reason, believed that the French men — Kevin Emoz and the duo Gabriela Papadakis / Guillaume Cizeron — would get gold medals in men's single skating and dancing . But Emoz so ugly skated a short program that he didn’t even get into a free one!
- He took 26th place and drove home.
- That's right. And Papadakis and Cizeron, five-time European champions, unexpectedly lost to Victoria Sinitsina and Nikita Katsalapov . In recent years, Russia has lost leadership in dancing. We lost to the French, Canadians, and Americans. There were times when Papadakis and Cizeron were ahead of our skaters by ten points after the rhythm dance. And according to the results of a free separation, it increased by two to three times. But gradually Sinitsin and Katsalapov reduced the gap.
- In Graz, in the rhythm dance, the French beat them only five hundredths.
- Yes, ours won 0.12 points with a technical assessment, but lost 0.17 points for components. Even then, a thought flickered - the next day the French could flinch. And so it happened. And not for the first time. The same thing happened at the Pyeongchang Olympics when their rivals were Canadians Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir. What is this talking about?
- About what?
- The French are used to winning for a clear advantage. No resistance. But if a couple appears that imposes a tough fight on them, Papadakis and Cizeron begins to shake. As they saw in a free dance, where for one element they earned extremely low points. This mistake cost them a gold medal. Well, ours are great fellows. I especially note Sinitsin. When the Katsalapov / Ilinykh duet broke up after the Sochi Olympics, Victoria turned out to be Nikita's partner. At first, it was great at the level of skill, but now they look almost perfect.
- It's true.
- Nikita is the dream of any skater. A handsome man, a real gentleman who knows how to perfectly present a partner, to show it in public from the most profitable side. Amazing couple. But!
- The World Cup will be held in Montreal. Canadian and American duets will be added, plus we will have a completely different refereeing. So it will be very difficult to make a double gold for Sinitsina and Katsalapov.