The coach of the Russian figure skater Evgenia Medvedeva, Brian Orser, is pleased with her performance at the fifth stage of the season Grand Prix in Russia. Orser told reporters about this.
Medvedev took second place at the stage in Moscow, gaining 225.76 points. This is the best result of the 19-year-old skater this season.
Skater Trusova won the Grand Prix stage in Moscow and reached the final of the series. “I am pleased with the free and short programs, it was very important for her to skate well and get decent grades,” Orser said. “Because she worked a lot - like she hadn't worked before.”
“I don’t think that these are psychological problems,” the specialist said in response to a question about what the figure skater’s previous failures were related to. “Rather, it’s about perceiving reality - how to work and get high scores, compete with other athletes. He started working with Yuzuru Hanyu, he was in the shadow of Patrick-chan, and for Yuzuru the point was not to do more technical tricks, because Patrick won because of his incredible riding skills, we started to learn, and with each competition, Yuzuru was selected getting closer and closer Otomi caught up with him, and then - passed it is necessary to work in the complex, but sometimes it takes a little more time than we would like."
Orser also told how things are with Medvedeva’s training of the quad salchow. "She is making progress, we are continuing to work on it. Now we have time to focus on this," he said.
Medvedev is a two-time silver medalist of the 2018 Olympic Games, a two-time world champion, a two-time European champion and a two-time winner of the Grand Prix finals. Also in her asset are bronze of the World Cup, silver of the European Championship and team world championship.
European champion and director Igor Bobrin - about working with Chania, Medvedeva and Moskvina.
Igor Bobrin is the standard of art in figure skating of his time. For a short career at the top, he showed several masterpieces like Sleeping Cowboy and Dance with an Imaginary Partner, and after completing his career at the age of 29, he founded his Ice Miniature Theater, which puts the ears of viewers from Korea to America. As a director, the 1981 European champion worked with Yuzuru Hania before the Olympics in Sochi, and had just managed to stage the program with the best Russian couple, Alexander Boykov / Dmitry Kozlovsky , with his wife Natalya Bestemyanova (everyone worked in masks on the rink). Supersuccessful figure skaters came to his theater, including Evgeny Medvedev. Igor Bobrin told SE about the problems of the two-time world champion and the prospects of the wards of Tamara Moskvina, as well as the involuntary participation of "homeless" from the Polish Solidarity movement.
Boykova and Kozlovsky can already say that they are worthy of the gold of the Olympics - Igor Anatolyevich, you do not often speak on the subject of figure skating, although you set up programs and manage the theater. In general, has it become more interesting or boring to watch figure skating in general in recent years?
- I definitely would not call figure skating boring. It’s not boring to look at people performing jumps, about which we at one time could not even think of. Just shifted priorities towards technology. Artistry is a wave thing, after you have jumped all fours, you can add aesthetics. Maybe there is a man who will jump all fours and will delight us with the depth of his artistic design.
- We often leave, not even having time to think about aesthetics. So it should be?
- In general, yes, this is a natural process. We left, and then everyone said: “What a pity, how we miss this athlete!” Sport is a cruel world. But I’m even scared to say that a girl at the age of 15 puts a vulture unpromising.
- In many respects, this is because there is a Khrustalny skating rink that stands out against the general background, where there is such fierce competition.
- I do not agree that he is alone, I would not focus on Tutberidze. In our figure skating there is Tamara Nikolaevna Moskvina, with whom I have extensive experience. Brilliant trainer, producer, manager. She does not have a single enemy from her former students. She works, does not cry about difficult conditions, she is engaged in a matter to which she devoted her whole life with her husband Igor Borisovich Moskvin. How many times have we come to her.
Hanyu at Tutberidze? He is unlikely to get involved in an adventure - You worked before the Olympics in Sochi with Yuzuru Hanyu, around whom there is a halo of mysticism. How did he seem to you?
- He came to Moscow several times, did not speak Russian then, only weakly in English. But I always saw in his eyes the absence of indifference, he drove up and already asked with a look: "What is so, what is not?" He always wants to do more. You can make 200, 300 jumps - but then the indifference begins. Man is bored with monotony. Desire for the skater is the most important.
Chania remains unique, such as he will appear soon. Not everyone like him knows how to love figure skating. ISU is thinking about how to change the rules, whether to raise the age limit, about the artistic program - and its programs still cause me tears of tenderness. Look at his face. With his asceticism, he can even show a lot of emotions without moving his face. This is talent. If a person has a need not only for technical, but also for sensual self-expression, even a Japanese athlete can show us an example of how to ride for the viewer.
- Say "even" because emotionality is not peculiar to Japanese culture?
- Yes, we perfectly saw their behavior on the coronavirus problem - they are obedient. If I come to train a Japanese, I become a guru for him, a Sensei - a person who has come to do good. Not only in sports, but in production, anywhere. I will never forget how during our departure from Sochi he called and asked me to drive through their hotel. His team came out together with the head of the federation and silently bowed synchronously. So touching they never thanked me. Hotel staff were more shocked than me.
- Why did the cooperation stop?
- He went to Canada to Orser, there is his own team, his principles. But I see how he still applies our best practices in his programs.
- Last season, when Orser did not come with Chania to the Grand Prix finals, they talked in social networks - should he go to Tutberidze? Would you get a tandem, do you think? Sema Uno tried.
- The Japanese are wise and cautious people, they will not get involved in adventures. Hanyu has an excellent coach and team. I think he found his niche in this company. His mother travels with him like a guardian angel. He is not alone, he has many friends. And he has no reason to cross, he even gives everyone a head start with age. I think they are afraid of him.
In Lyon, 10 homeless people fell out on the rink before the performance “Do we have something to learn from the Japanese in terms of behavior?”
- We have a lot to learn after 1917. The easiest way to chop off, ban. Our country needs to look, weed out and think what can be applied on our reckless soil. And as Valentin Nikolayevich Piseev (the former head of the FFKKR. - Approx. "SE") liked to say at our meetings - to draw the right conclusions.
- You speak as if you have a negative attitude towards the Soviet period.
- It’s hard to say right away. No, I have no negative. After a sports career, I was able to create my own theater and embodied unrealized ideas in sports there. In sports there were 10 programs, and in the theater he staged 15 performances. This is a worldwide recognition, working with artists, many of whom have achieved much in their sports careers. Artists had to be educated, of course, managing a team is difficult, but insanely interesting.
- Had to coordinate the production?
- At first, they did not escape the artistic council. But it was difficult to find fault with the theme of Chaplin, The Nutcracker. The only time they made a mistake and missed the play "Rasputin". But we were lucky - the premiere was in the USA, in Syracuse, and when we showed the ovation of the Americans after it on the video, the artistic council did not have any questions.
- Now the theater has no problems? Quarantine is still here, the business is suffering.
- I am far from the financial part. But Natasha is our director, and I see her eyes lately, sad eyes. And I understand that everything is bad. But we have the principle that never in 35 years of the theater's existence have we resorted to the help of the state or philanthropists. And the bandits at one time who wanted to stick. Get out yourself.