A new E-fit of a possible suspect in Madeleine McCann's disappearance is set to be released by detectives, it has been claimed. Police are refusing to confirm the development, reported by Sky News, but there are suggestions the image may be released in a new Crimewatch appeal into the case on Monday.
Sky News crime correspondent Martin Brunt said the new E-Fit would be revealed on next week’s appeal by Madeleine’s parents on BBC1′s Crimewatch. But Scotland Yard said it was not prepared to ‘discuss, comment, or speculate’ on details of the appeal.
‘This has been weeks in the planning and each element of the investigation must be set into the overall context of the appeal. We will be asking for help from the public in a number of countries, delivered through a series of public appeals,’ a Metropolitan police spokesperson said.
Scotland Yard detectives and the McCanns helped a BBC production team put together the footage as part of the £5million review of the crime, which will also be shown in Germany and Holland.
Detectives working on the Madeleine McCann investigation are to reveal that key details in the timeline that led to her disappearance were wrong. The revised details will emerge in a BBC Crimewatch appeal on the case to be broadcast on Monday, which will also feature a 25-minute reconstruction of the events six years ago.
The purpose of the Crimewatch appeal, which police are describing as the "most complex and detailed" so far in the case, is to try to identify a number of computer-generated images, or e-fits, of men who were sighted in and around Praia da Luz on or before Thursday 3 May 2007. As part of that effort, a reconstruction - almost 25 minutes long - of events leading up to and surrounding Madeleine's disappearance will be shown.
A British suspect was taken into custody by the Greater Manchester Police, the Sunday Mirror is reporting. The arrest came after a British attorney told Scotland Yard he’d met a man who claimed to have seen Madeleine alive just this past summer.
A spokesman from London's Metropolitan Police told Fairfax Media: “We are not providing a running commentary in relation to this.” If any arrest was made by Operation Grange it would be confirmed by the Met, he said. Police from Operation Grange, along with the McCann family, are due to make a new public appeal for help in the case on a British TV programme on Monday night.
Tourist resorts popular with Brits are now thought to feature in the active inquiry. A family source confirmed last night: “This is high up on the credibility scale. The Sunday Mirror can reveal that the arrested man was at a party attended by the barrister at a private home in an upmarket suburb of Manchester on August 17. During the evening, the lawyer had a conversation with the man, who told him he had met Madeleine on the island in the Med this summer.
Express front page: Maddy: pictures of new suspect
These e fits have been drawn up based on statements and descriptions from two different witnesses who saw this man in the Praia da Luz town area. The sightings are from the evening of Thursday 3 May 2007, the night that Madeleine went missing.
The authorities want to question the suspect in the images, which were created from witness accounts at the scene in 2007.
On the morning of the day she disappeared Madeleine McCann asked her parents a question over breakfast. “Why didn’t you come when Sean and I cried last night?” She asked it and was then was distracted by something else. Kate McCann says she was about to follow up on the question but the chance was lost in the melee of a family meal. Later that night, at dinner, she mentioned it to the friends round the table, disturbed that her children may have been distressed in between the half hour checks their parents made on them during dinner.