Shoma Uno won the men’s event for a Japanese singles sweep. The Olympic and world silver medalist attempted six quads between two programs, with a fall and missed combination in the short program and some messy landings in the free.
He totaled 276.45 points and remains ranked third in the world this season behind Yuzuru Hanyu and Nathan Chen, whom he will likely face at the Grand Prix Final.
#GPFigure NHK Trophy 2018 Standings after Men Short Program:
1⃣ Shoma Uno 🇯🇵 92.49 2⃣ Sergei Voronov 🇷🇺 91.37 3⃣ @aliev_dmitriy 🇷🇺 81.16
Russian Sergei Voronov took silver, 22.17 points back, followed by Matteo Rizzo, the first Italian man to earn a Grand Prix singles medal. U.S. Olympian Vincent Zhou was fourth.
Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker of the United States overtook leaders Tiffani Zagorski and Jonathan Guerreiro of Russia to win the ice dance gold at NHK Trophy on Sunday.
The 2018 Four Continents champions won the free dance with 113.92 points for a total of 184.63 to move up to first place and take the first Grand Prix medal of their career after a handful of near misses.
Grand Prix 2018 - NHK Trophy Ice Dance Final Standings:
Japan's double Olympic champion Yuzuru Hanyu earned a huge lead with his stunning opening act Friday in the short program at the Rostelecom Cup, the fifth stop in the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating.
Two weeks after he set season-best figures in both the short program and free skate, Hanyu set a new standard in Moscow with a nearly flawless program that earned him 110.53 points and a lead of 20.59 over short program runner-up, Morisi Kvitelashvili of Georgia.
"I'm relieved," Hanyu said. "I have to say that today I'm still in my preparation mode in the sense that there were a number of issues I've been trying to iron out, and so I had some real anxieties coming in. So in that sense, being able to accomplish this is a relief."
- Only half of the start was early. Tomorrow there will be new joyful sensations.
- For you it was the warmest welcome of the public in your career?
- Yes. Of course, I perform in my hometown, so I also knew from training how warmly they would receive.
- Is the present bear the biggest for you in your career?
- Bear - yes. But in Finland they gave me an owl. Or a penguin ... But still drove.
- Did you feel the support of the Japanese fans?
“I knew that they were going after Yuzuru everywhere, but that so ... I did not expect it.
- Do you communicate with him at all?
- Of course not. The language barrier is still there.
- How to tune in to the competition?
- Music, series. What music? I will not say.
- Does your dog Masaru support you?
- In the training process - yes. If she could still be taken to the hotel ... I miss her. But parents send a daily video report.
- And you are not home now?
- No, far from him. Yes, and I try to separate from my parents before the start, because it starts to enrage everyone. And I calm down alone.
- What does the world record mean to you?
- For me, the estimates do not mean anything. The main thing is to ride for the soul. The audience was very warmly welcomed. I remembered the European Championship home, all this gave me courage. The spectators really helped to win.
After answering the question, Zagitova helped turn on the microphone of second-best Sofia Samodurova , who recently began performing in adult skating.
- Your trainers showed you a gesture after a victory - paired forefinger with middle finger and ring finger with little finger. What does he mean?
- This is all because of the “Phantom of the Opera,” where on the poster a man covers his face with his hands with such a gesture. From there he was taken.
Grand Prix 2018 - Rostelecom Cup Standings after Ladies Short Program: