Smollett staged the hoax because he was “dissatisfied with his salary” on the Fox series, and to promote his career, according to “angry” Chicago Supt. Eddie Johnson at a Thursday morning presser carried on all the cable news networks and ABC News, which is now maybe wishing it had not scored that exclusive Smollett interview on Good Morning AMerica, when he was still pushing his victim of hate crime storyline.
Smollett turned himself in today at 5 AM Chicago time, after which Windy City police held a presser on the actor’s arrest.
Johnson said Smollett paid siblings Olabinjo and Abimbola Osundairo $3,500 to participate in the phony attack.
The Empire actor, Johnson said, “took advantage of the pain and anger of racism to promote his career. This publicity stunt was a scar that Chicago didn’t earn, and certainly didn’t deserve.”
A woman who grabbed a “Make America Great Again” hat off a man’s head in a Massachusetts restaurant is facing deportation after being arrested at the scene, but her immigration lawyer says she is in the US legally.
Rosiane Santos was charged with assault and battery for grabbing Bryton Turner’s hat bearing Donald Trump’s campaign slogan, while in a Mexican restaurant in the coastal town of Falmouth on 15 February. She was required to appear in court and pleaded not guilty.
Turner recorded the encounter at the Casa Vallarta restaurant and posted it online.
The 41-year-old Santos was taken into custody on Tuesday by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (Ice) and released pending removal proceedings. Ice says the Brazil native is in the US illegally.
The two brothers who allegedly helped "Empire" star Jussie Smollett stage a fake homophobic and racist street assault in Chicago say they have "tremendous regret" about it and know the impact it will have on true victims of hate crimes.
USA TODAY obtained a statement from Abimbola “Abel” Osundairo and Olabinjo “Ola” Osundairo Friday from their attorney, Chicago lawyer Gloria Schmidt.
“My clients have tremendous regret over their involvement in this situation, and they understand how it has impacted people across the nation, particularly minority communities and especially those who have been victims of hate crimes themselves,” the statement read.
A restaurateur in San Mateo, California, has apologized after announcing a ban on anyone wearing "Make America Great Again" hats, CBS San Francisco reports. J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, a chef and partner at Wursthall Restaurant and Bierhaus, tweeted on Sunday that he wouldn't serve anyone who enters his restaurant with one of President Trump's signature caps.
"It hasn't happened yet, but if you come to my restaurant wearing a MAGA cap, you aren't getting served. Same as if you come in wearing a swastika, white hood, or any other symbol of intolerance and hate," Lopez-Alt tweeted.
The "MAGA" hat ban tweet was taken down later, but it had already sparked both support and criticism. The restaurant's Facebook and Yelp pages were quickly overloaded with negative comments, forcing the social media sites to shut down the comment sections, CBS San Francisco reported.